Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Love is a wonderful thing

There are a few movies that every time I see them on the television... I have to watch them to completion.  The Natural, The Bird Cage, Funny Girl, Meet Joe Black, The Notebook and The Ref.  There are others.

A River Runs Through It is a great story about family and the love they have for one another.  For who they are.  Family.  You can't pick your family.  You didn't ask to be born.  Some family's are full of success and some are full of sorrow.  Some have a bit of both and there fore can appreciate the good times because they have endured the bad times together.  The Brad Pitt character in this movie is the most likable, fun loving young man.  He had a monkey on his back.  Not sure he even cared.  Others did though.  They wanted him to live differently, stop drinking, stop gambling, settle down.  Change.  Be more like the rest of the family.

The more I live the more I learn that you can't fool mother nature.  We are who we are.  Some are smart, some are very smart, some are sneaky and deceptive, telling half truths to avoid confrontation and being compared.  Having honest conversation with your loved ones is the best gesture of love.  Find out what it is that they want and help them be successful at that. 

At the end of the movie, the dad, who is a preacher, gives his final sermon.  I cry even writing this because his words have been in my head at so many points in my life.

"It is true we can seldom help those closest to us.  Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give, or more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted.  But we can still love them.  We can love completely without complete understanding."





No comments: